Sunday, December 27, 2009

A bonus post about food...


I know, I know. I meant to stay quiet until the end of 2009, but I just had to post this. It's been a great culinary week. It started with seafood shopping and the amazing Chelsea Market (16th street and 9th avenue) for our Vigilia dinner. I made Lucille's favorite dish...zuppa di pesce (fish soup). We were so impressed with the quality of the seafood at the Chelsea Market. The zuppa di pesce was at the center of our Christmas dinner.
It is made in a few easy steps (see pics below). Prepare a fish stock (any fish bones and heads would do. I was given the remains of a striped bass by the fishmonger). Lightly steam the clams. Sautee garlic, onions and tomato paste. Add squid and octopus. Add Clams. Add tomato sauce (I used canned cherry tomatoes and San Marzano tomato puree). At the very end,  add the red mullets or any other fish and cook for just a few minutes. Season (very little salt, as fish is quite salty, pepper, and I like hot paprika and saffron stems)....add fresh parsley. That's it...pretty simple, eh? The best thing is that you can use almost any kind of fish and seafood.


And to add to the seafood feast, last night we went to an amazing restaurant called Sik Gaek in Flushing, NY. The 1-hour long commute was well worth it. The place specialize in Korean seafood and has become very popular since it was featured on the Anthony Bourdain's No Reservation show about the outer boroughs.  It has a really laid back and cool atmosphere, lots of drinks and most importantly amazing seafood. One of their specialty is a live octopus appetizer. It's cut while still live and it keeps moving and trying to run off the plate for about ten more minutes. It doesn't get much fresher than this... The suction action that the tentacles have while you chew is an experience.  You can see the video of the live octopus here.

The main dish was a seafood stew (this time a spicy Korean one, of course) that was just a feast for the eyes. Giant clams, mussels, octopus, squid, crabs, live lobster (yes, live, but not for long) and even abalone! Simply amazing! It was quite a shock to come out the restaurant and be in Flushing! We had felt as if we were in Korea during the whole meal.

17 comments:

  1. It’s located in a peace and clear place in Downey city. Mexican Restaurants

    ReplyDelete
  2. I glad to eat a very tasty food in this Restaurant. Restaurants

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great article thanks for sharing this informative information. I will visit your blog regularly for some latest post. I will visit your blog regularly for Some latest post.
    buy real instagram followers cheap

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really impressive post. I read it whole and going to share it with my social circules. I enjoyed your article and planning to rewrite it on my own blog.
    gun safe reviews 2016

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for providing recent updates regarding the concern, I look forward to read more.
    buy injectable steroids online

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read a article under the same title some time ago, but this articles quality is much, much better. How you do this..
    buy instagram likes and followers

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you very much for sharing such a useful article. Will definitely saved and revisit your site
    free instagram followers

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you a bunch for sharing this with all of us you actually realize what you are talking about! Bookmarked. Please also seek advice from my site =). We could have a hyperlink change contract between us!
    how long do cats live with kidney disease

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello I am so delighted I located your blog, I really located you by mistake, while I was watching on google for something else, Anyways I am here now and could just like to say thank for a tremendous post and a all round entertaining website. Please do keep up the great work.
    how to become an expert witness

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great content material and great layout. Your website deserves all of the positive feedback it’s been getting.
    home pricing calculator

    ReplyDelete
  11. An interesting dialogue is price comment. I feel that it is best to write more on this matter, it may not be a taboo topic however usually individuals are not enough to talk on such topics. To the next. Cheers.
    mens hairstyles for round faces

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great articles and great layout. Your blog post deserves all of the positive feedback it’s been getting.
    declawing older cats

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thankyou for this wondrous post, I am glad I observed this website on yahoo.
    sprinters game

    ReplyDelete
  14. Keep up the good work , I read few posts on this web site and I conceive that your blog is very interesting and has sets of fantastic information.
    raw sewage cleanup

    ReplyDelete
  15. Someone Sometimes with visits your blog regularly and recommended it in my experience to read as well. The way of writing is excellent and also the content is top-notch. Thanks for that insight you provide the readers!
    lifesize batman cardboard cutouts

    ReplyDelete